Elastic Beanstalk has been working great for Spazstik Software during this last year. I initially had the site implemented using Java and it ran with only minor interruptions in service. I have recently reimplemented the site using Ruby on Rails.
The results have been outstanding. The performance of the web-site has improved markedly. But I started to notice that google was retiring search results as fairtweets.com. I didn't think much about this at first. Over time, search results for my site completely transitioned over to fairtweets.com.
What was going on? Took me a while to figure it out. When Elastic Beanstalk deploys your application it creates a instance of a elastic load balancer. This operates as your front end web server and routes requests to instances of your web application. The elastic load balancer has a public IP address. In fact is has three public IP addresses and DNS records.
In my case one of the IP addresses was still being referenced by a fairtweets.com DNS record. From which I assume that when the site was active it was hosted on Amazon AWS.
Creating a new elastic load balancer instance was required to address this issue. So going forward I will be verifying if the public IP addresses of the load balancer are still being referenced by old DNS records.Facebook Twitter Google+